Did you know that lovely vase of roses could be toxic to your feline?

rosesDon’t despair! You don’t have to get rid of your roses or make them into hanging arrangements, but you should be aware that Baby’s Breath or Maiden’s Breath (Gypsophila elegans) which accompanies most floral arrangements is potentially toxic to both cats and dogs. The plant contains gyposenin. While not life threatening, ingesting those little white flowers can irritate the lining of your pet’s throat and stomach (gastroenteritis).

Signs & Symptoms

In most instances, the result is a sore throat and an upset stomach (gastrointestinal irritation) with possible diarrhea and vomiting. The severity of symptoms is dependent on the amount of flowers ingested. Noticeable symptoms include:

Vomiting
Lethargy
Hiding
Diarrhea
Loss of Appetite

Immediate Care & Treatment

Usually, keeping food away from your furry friend and leaving only water out for the next 10-12 hours is sufficient time for the stomach to settle down and toxins to clear out. Of course, each pet is different and when in doubt contact your veterinarian or Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435.

Prevention

If you know your feline loves to sniff or nibble on floral arrangements, the simplest solution is throw out the Baby’s Breath or move the arrangement out of reach.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s